Here is a helpful checklist to review at any stage of your wedding planning. Check and see if you’re on track with the average timeline.
12+ MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Determine potential dates and times for your wedding.
- Decide on the size, formality and setting of your wedding.
- Create a wedding and engagement budget.
- Reserve the locations for your wedding and reception.
- Meet with and book your wedding officiate or clergy.
- Choose your wedding party and confirm the participants.
- Choose your wedding rings.
- Draw up an initial guest list.
- Organize your engagement party.
9-12 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Order your wedding dress and attendant’s attire.
- Book your photographer and videographer.
- Reserve a caterer.
- Arrange for décor, chair covers, and linens.
- Book your live entertainment or DJ.
- Reserve your florist.
- Order your wedding cake.
- Reserve and rental items from the rental company.
- Register your gift choices at your favorite stores.
- Research accommodation for out-of-town guests.
- Plan your honeymoon.
6-9 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Reserve the musicians and soloist for your ceremony.
- Reserve your limousine service.
- Order your invitations and any other stationary.
- Order wedding favors for your guests.
- Choose outfits for mother of the bride and mother of the groom.
- Check marriage license requirement.
3-6 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Finalize your guest list.
- Choose the reader for your ceremony.
- Finalize your order with the florist.
- Reserve the men’s wedding attire.
- Make an appointment with your hairdresser.
2 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Mail the invitations.
- Decide on your wedding vows or compose your own.
- Finalize the reception menus.
- Confirm the wedding details with the musicians and clergy or officiate.
- Have the programs printed.
- Purchase gifts for parents and attendants.
- Make appointments for nails and make-up.
- Schedule final dress fitting.
1 MONTH BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Apply for a marriage license.
- Plan the rehearsal dinner.
- Meet with photographer and videographer.
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Have a party for the attendants.
- Draft the speeches.
- Finalize reception details.
- Call any guests who have not replied.
- Meet with your hairdresser and make-up artist for consultation.
- Deliver song lists to musicians or play lists to DJs.
- Confirm honeymoon reservations.
1 WEEK BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Finalize seating plan.
- Determine the order for the procession.
- Have your rehearsal.
- Confirm accommodation reservations.
- Pick up attire for the groomsmen.
- Confirm the final numbers wit the caterer.
- Confirm details with the limousine company.
- Deliver your marriage license to the officiate.
- Draw up a seating arrangement for the reception and write out the place cards.
- Choose someone to hand out the bombonieres or wedding favors.
- Choose someone to return any rented items after the wedding.
- Write any cheques required for the wedding day.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
ON THE DAY!
Give the wedding bands to the best man.
Give the best man any cheques that need to be given out that day.
Present the attendants and parents with their gifts.
Relax and enjoy your special day!
The party doesn’t end there! Don’t forget to take care of some after-wedding details. Including your thank you cards and providing vendors with you honest reviews!
AFTER THE WEDDING
- Make a gift list and send out your thank you notes.
- Send thank you letters to your suppliers and attendants.
- If you are changing your name, you can purchase a kit to make the job easy.
- Arrange for cleaning and preservation of your gown.