Wedding Catering FAQ
- Can I make any changes to the food in wedding catering menus and catering packages?
Absolutely! Our catering menus are just a starting point. We would love to help you create a personal catering menu just for your special day.
- If we bring our own dish of food, can your servers help serve it?
Unfortunately Ritz Catering servers can only serve our own prepared food.
- Will Ritz Catering be willing to include a recipe we provide, like a special family dish, or an appetizer with some sort of sentimental significance?
Absolutely! Prices will vary depending on the food cost and prep time.
- Where will the food be prepared?
Ritz Catering has a certified commercial kitchen where everything is prepared. We deliver the hot food in warming ovens right before dinner service to ensure the best quality possible. If your menu includes BBQ items, the food will be BBQ’d on site.
- How are the appetizers served?
Our servers walk around the appetizers butler style with napkins.
- Do you provide meals for vendors (DJs, Photographers, Bartenders, etc.)?
Yes, we provide complimentary vendor meals for up to four vendors. Please let us know how many vendors there are when giving us your final numbers.
- Can I add any extra rentals onto my menu?
You can definitely add on extra rentals for an additional fee. Rental prices are available upon request.
- What are your server’s duties?
Our servers will arrive, set up our equipment, set up place settings with the equipment we bring (cutlery, napkin and glassware if it is included in your package), serve appetizers (if included in your package), help serve on the buffet, and clean up after guests within our timeline. Extra duties can be arranged for additional prices to be discussed.
- Do your servers wear uniforms?
Our servers wear black shirts, black dress pants and black shoes.
- How many servers do you provide?
We provide 1 server per 40 guests.
- Can your servers pour wine/beverages?
Ritz Catering servers will assist the bartender on site with placing bottles of wine on tables, but unfortunately we cannot pour for guests.
- Do you have bartenders?
We do not have our own bartenders, but we can refer you to some highly suggested bartenders around the area.
FAQ: Day of Details
- How much time do you need for set up?
We typically need 2 hours to set up for a wedding before your cocktail hour or reception begins. 45 minutes to 1 hour to unload vehicles and the final hour to set your tables and buffet.
- How long is the buffet left out for?
The buffet is left out until we feel that the last guest has gone through and everybody is done with second helpings. Our buffet catering services are designed to ensure that everyone is well fed!
- Do you have a cake cutting fee?
Cake cutting is free, if within our timeline. We will cut and place each slice on the buffet table for guests to come up and grab. You will need to inform us how much cake to cut (eg. Leave a large portion uncut, or cut every single slice)
- What do I do with the dishes left behind?
We will bring back as many dishes as possible within our timeline. Any dishes left behind will have crates for them to be placed in and returned to Ritz Catering the following business day between 9am-2:30pm. Before we leave your wedding a staff member will discuss what is left behind with your day of coordinator.
- How far in advance should I reserve my date?
Wedding receptions typically book 6-12 months in advance. We suggest reserving your date as soon as it is confirmed to secure your spot.
- What do you need from me to reserve my date?
We require a non-refundable $500.00 deposit (this can be paid by e-transfer or in store with cash, cheque, credit or debit), and for you to fill out and sign one of our wedding contracts.
FAQ: Minimums, Payments, Fees
- Do you offer tastings?
We offer tastings at $15 per person during one of our pre-scheduled tasting evenings.
- Do you have a minimum number of guests for weddings? What if I don’t meet those numbers?
We do require weddings to have a minimum of 100 adult guests. This is due to the quantity of food we order which helps us keep our wedding catering menus affordable without losing the quality. If your wedding does not meet this minimum, there will be a charge of $10.00 per adult guest missing added to your final invoice.
For example, if you have 90 guests, you will be charged $10.00×10 ($100.00). If you have 75 guests, you will be charged $10.00×25 ($250.00). And so on.
- Do you have children’s pricing?
Children aged 0-4 are free, and children aged 5-10 are $10.00 each.
- Do you have additional charges for long weekend weddings?
Weddings that fall on a Long Weekend, will have a surcharge.
- What if we need your staff for longer than 5 hours?
If your wedding timeline is behind schedule or some unforeseen circumstance happens and our staff need to stay later than the agreed upon timeline a charge of $40/hour per staff will be processed the following business day. We will need an authorized person’s contact information prior to your wedding who can make this decision on the day of.
- When are final numbers and payment due?
Final numbers are due 2 weeks prior to the wedding date and payment is due 1 week prior to the wedding date. If your wedding is on a weekend, payment and numbers will be due on Friday the week before.
- What fees will I see on my final invoice?
All weddings are charged with 5% GST, 15% Gratuity, and a Staff/Chef fee. UBC Boathouse fees may differ.